A short guide to producing custom goods in China
Producing goods with its own brand in China has considerable advantages for the business: in this article we try to understand how to manufacture a product in China, from how to realize a real business starting from the offer of Chinese manufacturers and suppliers.
In fact, Chinese manufacturers can offer you a wide choice of catalog products, that is, factory products that may have been applied to a custom brand. These products, also called ODM, are therefore models on which you can affix your logo, or on which you can request that some small changes be made (change of color, function, or material) to make them even more customized.
Another possible solution is OEM products, which, however, are much more expensive since molds and production must be ad hoc to make these products. The MDGs are a good solution for start-ups and SMEs that have limited budgets and can therefore create customized items starting from the basic ones provided by the manufacturer.
How to produce customized products in China starting from ODM products
If you have decided to produce customised products at a low cost, then it is good that you focus on ODM products. Here are the main advantages of this type of product:
- short timeframes: start-ups and SMEs generally do not have the technical capacity to develop new products, and tailor-made projects then take time because they are subject to many revisions.
- reduced processing costs compared to those of OEMs: customized products need molds made on industrial projects that must be supplied by the buyer. Instead, molds already in use are used to make the ODM products.
- low order quantity: the supplier produces the MDGs more easily, takes less time and runs fewer risks, can also use materials already in the possession of subcontractors without having to look for new ones. Because making OEM products forces the supplier to raise the minimum order quantity because it runs more risks, we are talking about several hundred pieces.
- a wide choice of products: Chinese suppliers can offer a wide choice of ready-made projects, ODM products are based on those of their customers and competitors.
How to manufacture a product in China using OEM models
If ready and finished products do not meet your needs, then you can try OEM products that allow a series of customizations. Remember, however, that in this case the minimum order will be bigger (for low-cost objects around a thousand pieces), the highest costs and the longest times.
OEM products are customizable products made from standard components. Measurements of these customizations vary by product. Let’s give some examples:
- clothing and textiles—you can modify fabrics, colors, buttons, zippers, sizes, prints, embroidery;
- electronic systems – you can modify sensors and transmitters, software, engraving and printing, packaging;
- watches – you can change the dial (colors and material), case plating, movements, engraving back plate;
- jewelry – you can modify stones, wires, metal parts, plating;
- home furnishings and products – you can modify materials, fabrics, components, printing.
If you want a personalized product, you can easily get it, but you must specify in as much detail as possible; otherwise, if there may be some doubt or decisions to be made, the supplier will intervene in your place and you may find yourself having goods that you do not want.
Why it is important to create your own brand
Combining a brand with a good product increases its perceived value: there are millions of small businesses that import to China and successfully resell own-brand products; we are not talking about goods sold at broken prices, but about items that are purchased because of their brand or their packaging. Many consumers are in fact looking for niche products. Having their own trademark is therefore always better than importing and reselling anonymous products. The opportunities for profit are in fact greater.
For many Chinese suppliers, branding products is a routine operation that requires low cost and fast turnaround.
To have customized products, you can:
- have your brand printed on the product—a service that most Chinese suppliers offer;
- have the brand printed on the packaging – Europeans also want beautiful products to see and it is the packaging that gives them a first impression of the article. To have your brand on the packaging, you can have it printed on the standard packages offered by the Chinese supplier. You can choose colors and graphics, but not material or shape. A personalized package has a considerable cost because you have to invest in a new injection molding machine;
- develop the product design—a unique product makes the brand stand out more. However, it is not easy because you need technical skills and projects, and you need to communicate effectively with the supplier. You must then provide detailed dimensions, colors, materials, components, certifications and so on.
Making in China: the most common mistakes to avoid
The supplier has mistaken the color or has misprinted the logo: these are things that unfortunately happen and it is a good damage because it is difficult to return the goods once they arrive in Italy. In addition, at the time it arrives at its destination, it has already been paid. So what can you do to avoid this scenario? The solution is to send the supplier the instructions and specifications as detailed as possible so as to limit its margin of error and also its initiative. You must therefore specify:
- the size of the mark;
- the position in which it is to be inserted;
- the type of printing.
Also, do a quality check on the goods directly in China before shipping. Also ask the supplier to send you samples that they have already applied your brand to, and make sure this happens before the sales agreement is signed. If it’s all right, you can start the production. Clarify any misunderstandings at this stage, or you may find yourself with unsaleable merchandise.
How to manufacture a product in China without problems
If you’re wondering how to find a Chinese supplier who can make your customized products, the answer is simple: trust Yakkyofy.
Yakkyofy is the only platform that allows you to request quotes for the ODM products you prefer with just a few clicks. Whether it’s OEM products or ODM products, Yakkyofy is able to manage your order by following it from start to finish.
We offer a 360° service that helps you with sourcing, certification control, and quality control, up to the organization of shipping, customs clearance, and home delivery.
We can assist you in:
- Find reliable and certified suppliers;
- Obtain full quality control before shipment;
- Get professional photos, videos, 360° rendering, or AR files of your articles;
- Ship wholesale to Amazon’s home, warehouse, or Amazon Logistics;
- Customize your items with your Private Label;
- Customize your packaging to promote your brand;
In addition, with Yakkyofy, creating goods with your brand is really simple: register on the site, consult the catalog, and find the products on which to apply your logo.
Decide what you want and wait for your goods at home: Yakkyofy thinks about product control, agreements, documents, certifications, and arranging shipping.